i.e. Universite du Quebec a Rimouski, http://www.uqar.ca/ (excuse for skipping all the accents in French words, I havent really found them from my keyboard). The building is an old monastery, with its statue and a cross on the roof being illuminated in the night (which looks rather funny). I haven't got around to take a photo of that yet, though, so here is just day-time view. The whole university is in one building, which is quite a labyrinth... But by now I manage to navigate between my office (which, I have been told, is in a former chapel), canteen, various administrative offices etc without getting badly lost. The canteen, by the way, is offering one step more advanced food than the one at UiTø. Hot meals every day, with a few alternatives - and not as expensive :) Which might not tell so much about the canteen than about the general lunch-culture of the countries.As one can guess by the name of UQAR, French is the main language. Or the only language... It is interesting to meet a very different experience of being a foreigner than in Norway. Here, being an international student does not mean that you could organize things in any other language than the local language - or that you would be offered a course in order to learn it. The whole concept of being an international visitor does not seem to include that one might not speak French. It is just fine if people want to resist the Anglo-American culture an keep their own language. But, well, it is obvious that very few non-francophones come here.
Most people are friendly and helpful, though, and in most offices it is possible to dig someone who speaks a bit of English :) Still, a lot of translation-help is needed... and even if most scientist speak English, the Scandinavian practice of switching to language when not everybody understands doesn't exist. Though, I guess it is OK to be shy to speak English, I'm shy to speak French as well... I have never before really felt how it is to be stopped by invisible barriers, the type of one could expect to meet as a girl in the academic world... Luckily, the invisible barrier that keeps me from being able to fully participate life here is possible to break by learning the language. Which, though, based on the amount of courses offered should be actually easier in Tromsø than here... but... at least here it is very motivating to learn it, and very possible to practice daily. I hope this doesn't sound too negative, I actually like the place ;) There are just some things that make life a bit complicated.
Ingen kommentarer:
Legg inn en kommentar