onsdag 9. oktober 2013

101 days (almost)

Last February I departed from Troll Airfield believing that I would never return to the Antarctic. At least not in the foreseeable future. Foreseeable future proved to be short. In a month I will return there, to spend another three months on the Svarthammaren Nunatak. The whole trip lasts for 101 days, of which maybe about 85 will be really spent next to the birds, the rest will go to traveling to Troll via Cape Town (and the other way round), packing (and unpacking) equipment at Troll and some safety training at Troll.
One of the special aspects of this return is that last February we were the last ones to leave Troll before winter set in, and the last people the over-wintering team would meet. Now we are the first ones to arrive and so the first people they have seen eight months.
Arrival of the departure-flight
Troll Airfield in the blue light of February midnight
Last sunset of last years Antarctic-trip




Ingen kommentarer: