fredag 1. november 2013

Birds in the north

I mostly work with mammals. And I am soon leaving to the south to work with birds. But during the last year I have also been involved in some bird-work in the north, which has finally reslted in something rather visible: 

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10344-013-0766-z#page-1

Briefly, the story goes so that ion the 1980's a PhD-studednt did a harvest experiment on Svalbard ptarmigans (Huippuvuortenkiiruna, Svalbardrype). That is, he shot all birds of one small area to test whether new birds show up. That is a way to study how hunting affects a population - to help guessing how much hunting should be allowed. Well, the PhD-student stopped the work for many reasons, and the data were stored somewhere for 30 years. Now he has finally had opportunity get the results out togehter with a bunch of researchers :) And - what happens when you empty an area of ptarmigans? It gets recolonised extremely fast. There seems to be quite a bunch of birds just waiting to get access to nesting territories.... So there are birds available for hunters.



Ingen kommentarer: