søndag 7. september 2014

Sunnuntai-aamun rauhaa jäämeren rannalla


After a rodent-trapping week at Ifjordfjellet, I spend a some kind of "in-between-day" in Vadsø. Tomorrow we (= a few people from the research group I belong to) will have an information meeting about our research plans to the Varanger peninsula national park authorities. Today I arrived to Vadsø by bus. It is a grey day, the sky is grey and the sea is grey, and on a September sunday morning there is absolutely no life whatsoever in the town. Today, the only places open are a gas station and a very fancy hotel (I am not staying there.. but in a budget place where the rooms are surely better - they have a kitchen in every room). So I collected some (very) basic food from the gas station and camp in my room, working on a lecture on tundra plant-herbivore interactions. But with a bit of imagination and s few papers to read I let myself to travel to many places which sound like and adventure, reading about research at Akimiski Island, Nimiuktuk River, Kangerlussuaq and Adak Island...

Ingen kommentarer: