onsdag 5. mai 2010

State of welfare?

I am not employed currently, neither have I been the last 4 weeks. My connection to the university is a studentship. My studies are not financed by a Norwegian Study-loan. Thus, I have to be sick for 5 months before the state of Norway will give me money. Alternatively, I can stop my studies (and I am not allowed to return to them after I'm healthy) and get financial support now. So if I do not want to quite my PhD (and do they really imagine that it is a choice one would do except in the uttermost emergency?) I have to live without income 5 months. Excuse me? I sincerely hope I am healthy before that. Fighting against the system is so fun when you are sick.

The ladies in the NAV office were friendly and digged into the paragraphs for half-a-day, calling me up after. They apologize but it seems I am dropping in a hole of the system.

That is nothing new. As I am not employed, my name cannot be found at the university web-page. They are searching solution for adding the "external" people on that page, for second year now. And I have rather reduced set of rights compared to the employees. As I am not an undergraduate student, I do not get student discounts, nor the rights of students in general.

A graduate student? In Norway? Hahaa.

Ingen kommentarer: