fredag 8. oktober 2010

Life without a mobile phone -

- seems to be totally feasible :) The first one served me five years. It refused to turn on after it had been turned off for two months and stored in a cabin. The second served me another four years or so. I lost it in snow (and recovered later, functional, but that is another story). The third one is still working, I assume. It was a cheap thing which refuses to function at other continents than Europe.

So after ten years of owning a mobile-phone (and growing addiction?) I have had the opprtunity to experiment life without one, for 2 months now. And, I find it by no means unpractical. Maybe because I have a phone available at home and in the office. Maybe because I have "more-or-less-instant-communication" available by email and skype as a whole lot of the people I know spend their days in front of a screen (is that any healthier than a mobile phone...?). Or because having a mobile phone is not the norm of life here? Or because having lived here so short I have less people around me that I have the need to communicate instantly with? Whatever the reason, I'm happy to know that I'm still capable of agreeing meetings beforehand. And still living a relaxed and improvising tempo without being pre-programmed for weeks ahead. As a friend said about making plans and living according to a calender "Me, I like to feed the blue jays". Quite good life philosophy. Life should be pretty relaxed when one of your major activities is trying to make birds to get used to your presence.

Maybe I should consider loosing my phone number three as well? After all, I do have telephone in the office so people can call me if they need... And the threshold to call through skype is quite a bit higher than calling with a mobile... Should just come up with a creative idea how to get ride of the phone :)

Ingen kommentarer: